I must say that this has been a very rough start to the year. My bad time-management skills and laziness meant that I did not do as much work as I should have in the first week. So, unfortunately, this week I have focused on math to the exclusion of all else, including csc236 and this blog. This means that the assignment (still not started) is in the bottom of a very long priority queue, but at least I have two weekends to complete it. All of this is making me suspect that maybe summer school burned me out.
I finally could not endure any more of the (how long before the sled stops)/(what's the speed at position x)/(what's the terminal velocity) questions in MAT267, so I dropped it and took CSC438. I am excited and terrified at the same time. It should be very theoretical and fun, and I am looking forward to Professor Cook's lectures. On the other hand, it's a fourth year course (graduate course too), and I have missed the first four lectures, and still have not done all the reading. This relates to CSC236 in the following way: 438 conflicts with 236 on all 3 days, so I will have to start attending the evening section. I am not happy about this. I took an evening course last year (ECO100), and the third hour was a battle just to stay awake. On the other hand economics is a lot more boring than computer science so it may not be as bad as I am expecting.
One more thing. I was very upset to discover that CSC448 has been canceled. It almost seems like a sequel to 438, it has all the prerequisites of 438 with the addition of CSC236, and my next semester isn't very busy so it would have been perfect for me to take. But it is canceled, and 438 seems like it is offered in alternating years, which makes me think that 448 is offered in alternating years. So if it was supposed to be offered this year, it might not be offered the next year, which means I cannot take it before 4th year.
It is a pity - many great courses were canceled this year.
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
This was an unusually bad year for cancelled courses --- lots of faculty on leave for legitimate reasons. It's unlikely that such a huge number of leaves will be repeated, but that doesn't help your situation this year.
Well, my situation isn't bad. It would have been nice to take csc448 or 330 next semester, but on second thought, I was probably wrong about being able to handle 6 courses. And the 3rd year course that I am taking (csc321) should be great too.
Post a Comment